Wednesday, August 24, 2011

a love song for Leila, while I'm away

sometimes I miss you, the way Paul Simon must miss diamonds on the soles of his shoes.
days like today, when you're not there at the end of it. waiting, your arms outstretched to point
at trees and cars on the walk home. when there is no one to make dinner for; no reason to go home.

days like this one, I am still with you. my love goes with you, wherever you are, it hovers nearby
an invisible bird, perched, waiting to pick you up if you fall. to clean the dirt from scraped knees and hold
your tiny hand.

there is no line between us child, I am yours and you are mine. this is a song for while I'm away. I will keep the peaches in the fridge for you. I will seal the cherios so they don't go stale. I will buy you a new rubber boot like the one you lost. I will love, even while I'm away.

No comments:

Post a Comment